Product and feature life cycles
Fastly releases or retires its products and features as detailed below.
Product and feature releases
We release our products and features in the following stages.
Beta products are initial releases of potential future products or features. We provide customers who participate in our Beta program the opportunity to test, validate, and provide feedback on future functionality. Feedback gathered during this phase helps us to determine which features and functionality provide the most value to our customers and helps us focus our efforts accordingly.
These guidelines apply to Fastly’s Beta program:
- Customers can choose or elect to participate in a Beta program.
- Fastly does not make any promises on the features, functionality, or performance of our Beta products.
- We reserve the right to change the scope of or discontinue a Beta product or feature at any point in time.
- We do not charge our subscribers for using our Beta products or features.
- Beta products or features are not included in any existing support contracts or obligations.
- Fastly does not provide Beta customers with discounts on future purchases of any products or services.
- Fastly strongly advises against using production traffic for Beta products due to their dynamic nature.
Beta services are covered by Section 7 of our Terms of Service.
Limited Availability products are ready to be released to the world, pending some fine tuning. Limited Availability allows us to test out a product or service with a limited number of customers, so we can closely monitor it and make any necessary adjustments before rolling it out more broadly. Our goal is to make it easy for customers to set up our products with their services and take advantage of the features that come along with them.
These guidelines apply to Fastly’s Limited Availability program:
- Fastly may charge its Limited Availability customers and pricing may vary depending on features.
- Fastly does not make any promises on the features, functionality, or performance of our Limited Availability products.
- Fastly does not provide its Limited Availability customers with discounts on future purchases of any products or services.
- Fastly does provide limited product and customer engineering support and documentation for Limited Availability products.
General Availability products released by Fastly are available for everyone’s use. Fastly manages these products in accordance with Fastly’s terms and conditions.
Product or feature retirement
The decision to retire or deprecate Limited Availability or General Availability features always follows a rigorous process including understanding the demand, use, impact of feature retirement and, most importantly, customers' feedback. Our goal is to always invest resources in areas that will add the most value for customers. When low-value functionality or less successful features compete for resources or create confusion, we may decide that retirement or deprecation is the best solution. In the most difficult of scenarios, feature retirement may cause temporary challenges for some customers. Focusing on the highest priorities of the greatest number of customers, however, allows us to continue to deliver a superior solution with the most benefit.
Fastly is committed to transparency in everything we do, particularly when that activity has implications on the functionality of our features or platform. In the interest of building trust and clarifying change, we have established a number of guidelines around communication of feature retirement, end-of-life, and deprecation.
When a decision to retire a feature is reached Fastly will strive to provide:
- Advance notice: We will provide notification proportional to feature criticality. For minor changes with improved functionality we will notify customers no less than three (3) months prior to deprecation, and for major changes we will notify no less than six (6) months in advance.
- Alternative functionality: We will include guidance and direction on new features in our services which replace retired or deprecated functionality. New features and functionality will always be provided in advance to ensure customers have time to understand and transition to new functionality prior to the retirement of previous functionality. In some cases this may be with partners or other approved third-party services.
- Continuous support: Fastly commits to providing continuous support for all features until the retirement date.
- Considerate scheduling: When planning significant changes, including feature or product retirement, we will align retirement as close to major updates or releases as possible to limit the scope of impact on your services.
In some extreme cases Fastly may need to accelerate the retirement of functionality timeline:
- Essential changes that are necessary or appropriate to protect the integrity of our service may occasionally be required. In these cases, it is important that those changes occur as quickly as possible. We will communicate with customers transparently with as much advance notice as possible in these situations.
- Integrated third-party software or services may need to be retired due to the third-party decision to change or retire their solution. In these situations, the pace of the retirement will be out of our control, although we remain committed to transparency and will strive to provide as much notice as possible.
For more information, contact customer support or your account team.
Back to Top