- Fastly Status
Changing connection timeouts to your origin
Last updated March 01, 2018
Connection timeouts to your origin server control how long Fastly will wait for a response from your origin server before exiting with an error. Changing the connection timeout is a good way to start troubleshooting 503 backend read errors. Follow the steps below to change the connection timeouts to your origin server:
- Log in to the Fastly web interface and click the Configure link.
- From the service menu, select the appropriate service.
- Click the Configuration button and then select Clone active. The Domains page appears.
- Click the Origins link. The Origins page appears.
- Click the link of the host that you want to edit. The Edit a host page appears.
Click the Advanced options link.
Type the new timeout in the appropriate field of the Timeouts section.
NOTE: Fastly enforces a 60 second timeout between nodes unless you're passing requests in
- Click the Update button.
TIP: Additional techniques that help you gain insights into your service configurations can be found in our Debugging guides.