Last updated March 07, 2017
To use Acquia Cloud as an origin, you must sign up for both an Acquia Cloud subscription and Fastly services and connect the two.
Sign up for an Acquia Cloud subscription
- Using a web browser, navigate to the Acquia Cloud signup page.
- Select the Acquia Cloud Free option. The account subscription form appears.
- Fill out the form and click Create to sign up for a subscription and start Acquia's automated site creation process.
The automated portion of the Acquia subscription process can take three to five minutes to complete. You'll know the entire process ends successfully when you see the checkmark appear next to the word "Done."
Check for domain alias conflicts
Ensure that your new site domain does not have a conflicting alias by running the
host command on a command line. For example, the
host command for the Test-Example-2 domain would be:
and would produce the following sample output:
test-example-2.devcloud.acquia-sites.com has address 127.0.0.1
Determine your CNAME
Using a web browser, navigate to the MX Toolbox SuperTool.
- In the Lookup anything field, type the name of your website domain.
- From the menu to the right of the field, select CNAME Lookup. The domain name and canonical name appear below the field.
- Save this information to use when you sign up for Fastly services.
Sign up for Fastly CDN services
- Using a web browser, navigate to the Fastly signup page and sign up for a Fastly account. The system sends a confirmation email to the address you specified during signup.
- Verify your new Fastly account by clicking on the verification link sent to the email address used to sign up for Fastly service.
- Log in to the Fastly web interface and complete your account configuration.
Complete the integration
Once you have completed the signup and configuration steps, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org to complete the integration. Fastly will need to know:
- the email address associated with your new Fastly account and
- whether or not you require TLS for your customer-facing domain.
Keep in mind that Fastly and Acquia both run a Varnish Cache. In order to properly configure your service, Fastly needs to make a few modifications during the final setup process to ensure compatibility between the two. In this final setup process, Fastly runs a script to automatically provision and configure your Fastly account. This script will:
- create an Acquia-specific service within your Fastly account,
- add your Acquia origin to the new service,
- add your end-user-facing domain to the new service, and
- add caching configurations to your service to optimize content delivery.
As soon as the configuration on Fastly's side is complete, you will receive email notification that you can change your CNAME records to point at the appropriate corresponding Fastly endpoints. As soon as the CNAME process is complete, you'll be ready to start using Acquia Cloud as an origin for Fastly services.