- Fastly Status
Log streaming: Cloud Files
Last updated August 24, 2017
NOTE: This logging endpoint is disabled by default. To enable this endpoint for your account, contact email@example.com and request it.
NOTE: Fastly does not provide direct support for third-party services. See Fastly's Terms of Service for more information.
Creating a Cloud Files user and container
Start by creating a Cloud Files user with restricted permissions via Rackspace's cloud control panel.
- Log in to Rackspace's cloud control panel.
- From the user account menu, select User Management.
- Click Create User and fill in all appropriate details.
- In the Product Access section, set User Role to Custom.
- Review the Product Access list. For all items in the Product column, set Role to No Access except the Files item.
- Set the Files item Role to Admin. This will allow you to create the files to store the logs in, but not access any other services.
Next, find the API key for your Cloud Files account. You'll use this later to authenticate using the Cloud Files API.
- From the user account menu, select Account Settings.
- Show the API key in the Login details and make a note of it.
Now that you've created the Cloud Files user and found the API key, you can set up a Cloud Files container.
- From the Storage menu, select Files.
- Click Create Container.
- Assign the container a meaningful name like
Fastly logs - my service.
- Choose a region to keep the files in and make sure the container is private.
- Click Create Container.
Adding a Cloud Files logging endpoint
Once you have created the Cloud Files user and container, follow these instructions to add Cloud Files as a logging endpoint:
- Review the information in our Setting Up Remote Log Streaming guide.
Click the Cloud Files logo. The Create a Cloud Files endpoint page appears.
- Fill out the Create a Cloud Files endpoint fields as follows:
- In the Name field, type a human-readable name for the endpoint.
- In the Log format field, optionally type an Apache-style string or VCL variables to use for log formatting. The Apache Common Log format string appears in this field by default. See our guidance on format strings for more information.
- In the Timestamp format field, optionally type a timestamp format for log files. The default is an
strftimecompatible string. Our guide on changing where log files are written provides more information.
- In the Bucket name field, type the name of the Cloud Files container in which to store the logs.
- In the User field, type the username of the Cloud Files user you created above.
- In the Access key field, type the API key of your Cloud Files account.
- In the Period field, type an interval (in seconds) to manage how frequently in seconds to rotate your log files. This value defaults to
Click the Advanced options link of the Create a Cloud Files endpoint page and decide which of the optional fields to change, if any.
- Fill out the Advanced options of the Create a Cloud Files endpoint page as follows:
- In the Path field, optionally type the path within the container to store the files. The path ends with a trailing slash. If this field is left empty, the files will be saved in the container's root path. Our guide on changing where log files are written provides more information.
- In the PGP public key field, optionally type a PGP public key that Fastly will use to encrypt your log files before writing them to disk. You will only be able to read the contents by decrypting them with your private key. The PGP key should be in PEM (Privacy-Enhanced Mail) format. See our guide on log encryption for more information.
- In the Select a log line format area, select the log line format for your log messages. Our guide on changing log line formats provides more information.
- In the Gzip level field, optionally type the level of gzip compression you want applied to the log files. You can specify any whole number from
1(fastest and least compressed) to
9(slowest and most compressed). This value defaults to
- Click the Create button to create the new logging endpoint.
- Click the Activate button to deploy your configuration changes.