- Fastly Status
Creating location-based tagging
Last updated August 09, 2018
You can set custom HTTP headers in your varnish configuration (VCL) based on the variables we expose. Use the geolocation features we have built into Varnish to create location-based tagging. We provide a list of geographic information based on a client's IP address. For a complete list of available geolocation variables, read about which geolocation features are accessible via VCL.
In the example below, an HTTP header Fastly-GeoIP-CountryCode is created with the two letter country code of the client's IP address using VCL Snippets.
- Log in to the Fastly web interface and click the Configure link.
- From the service menu, select the appropriate service.
- Click the Configuration button and then select Clone active. The Domains page appears.
- Click the VCL Snippets link. The VCL Snippets page appears.
Click Create Snippet. The Create a VCL snippet page appears.
- In the Name field, type an appropriate name (e.g., GeoLocation Header).
- From the Type controls, select within subroutine.
- From the Select subroutine menu, select recv (vcl_recv).
In the VCL field, add the following condition:
set req.http.Fastly-GeoIP-CountryCode = client.geo.country_code;
- Click Create to create the snippet.
- Click the Activate button to deploy your configuration changes.