These articles describe how to manage users with permission to access to your account.
- Adding and deleting user accounts
- Email and password changes
- Merging accounts
- User roles and how to change them
These articles describe how to manage account access and security.
- Account lockouts
- Changing your account's company name
- Enabling an IP whitelist for account logins
- Enabling and disabling two-factor authentication
- Finding and managing your account info
- Using API tokens
These articles describe Fastly's billing and payment plans and how to make adjustments to your billing information.
These articles provide basic instructions for getting started with Fastly services.
- Adding CNAME records
- Getting started with Fastly
- Glossary of terms
- Sign up and create your first service
- Working with services
These articles provide basic instructions for configuring Fastly services after getting started.
- Adding or modifying headers on HTTP requests and responses
- Caching configuration best practices
- Creating and customizing a robots.txt file
- Creating error pages with custom responses
- Creating multiple domains at one time
- Enabling automatic gzipping
- Health check frequency
- Health checks tutorial
- How request settings are applied
- Manipulating the X-Forwarded-For header
- Overriding caching defaults based on a backend response
- Removing headers from backend response
- Responses tutorial
- Setting Content Type based on file extension
- Specifying an override host
- Testing setup before changing domains
- Using Fastly with apex domains
These articles describe the most basic concepts of Fastly's CDN services.
- About the web interface controls
- Content and its delivery
- Domain names and Fastly's services
- Fastly POP locations
- How caching and CDNs work
- How Fastly's CDN Service works
- HTTP status codes cached by default
- Self-provisioned Fastly services
These articles describe how to cache responses from an API.
These articles define conditions in VCL and the Fastly web interface.
These articles describe how to use Dynamic Servers to dynamically distribute and direct incoming requests to a group of servers.
- About Dynamic Servers
- Creating and using pools with Dynamic Servers
- Creating and using server entries with Dynamic Servers
These articles describe how to move rapid key/value pair decision logic to the edge.
- About Edge Dictionaries
- Creating and manipulating dictionary items
- Creating and using Edge Dictionaries
A purge is what happens when you pick out an object from the cache and discard it along with its variants. Fastly allows unlimited purging without having to do it one object at a time. These articles describe how to purge by affiliation, by URL, or even purge all of your site's cached content for a full refresh.
- Authenticating URL purge requests via API
- Getting started with surrogate keys
- Setting Surrogate-Key headers based on a URL
- Setting Surrogate-Key headers for Amazon S3 origins
- Single purges
- Soft purges
- Wildcard purges
These articles provide information about how to use VCL to customize Fastly services.
- Accept-Language header VCL features
- Authenticating before returning a request
- Conditionally changing a URL
- Creating location-based tagging
- Cryptographic- and hashing-related VCL functions
- Custom responses that don't hit origin servers
- Date- and time-related VCL features
- Delivering different content to different devices
- Geolocation-related VCL features
- Guide to VCL
- Isolating header values without regular expressions
- Local variables in VCL
- Manipulating the cache key
- Miscellaneous VCL features
- Mixing and matching Fastly VCL with custom VCL
- Overriding which IP address the geolocation features use
- Previewing and testing VCL before activating it
- Query string manipulation VCL features
- Randomness-related VCL features
- Response Cookie handling
- Setting up redundant origin servers
- Size-related VCL variables
- Support for the Edge-Control header
- TLS and HTTP/2 VCL variables
- Understanding the different PASS action behaviors
- Uploading custom VCL
- VCL regular expression cheat sheet
These articles provide examples of some of the deeper technology Fastly makes available.
Diagnostics and performance
These articles describe Fastly's support for syslog and syslog-compatible log streaming providers as well as other methods of sending logging information.
- Changing log line formats
- Custom log formats
- Log streaming: Amazon S3
- Log streaming: Cloud Files
- Log streaming: FTP
- Log streaming: Google Cloud Storage
- Log streaming: Log Shuttle
- Log streaming: Logentries
- Log streaming: Loggly
- Log streaming: Heroku's Logplex
- Log streaming: OpenStack
- Log streaming: Papertrail
- Log streaming: Scalyr
- Log streaming: Sumo Logic
- Log streaming: Syslog
- Setting up remote log streaming
Because Fastly doesn't store customer logs, we provide these articles to describe debugging techniques that help you gain insights into your service configurations.
- Browser recommendations when using the Fastly web interface
- Changing connection timeouts to your origin
- Common 503 errors
- Common service and domain errors
- Curl and other caching verification methods
- Debugging with mtr
- Debugging with WebPageTest
- Error 1000 with CloudFlare DNS
- Fastly's network status
- Google Pagespeed module errors
- Googlebot crawl stats
- Loop detection
- Temporarily disabling caching
- TLS certificate errors
- TLS origin configuration messages
- Using GET instead of HEAD for command line caching tests
These articles describe how to tune the performance of Fastly's services beyond standard configuration methods.
- Changing origins based on user location
- Checking multiple backends for a single request
- Controlling caching
- Enabling cross-origin resource sharing (CORS)
- Enabling global POPs
- Failover configuration
- Generating HTTP redirects at the edge
- HTTP/2 server push
- Improving caching performance with large files
- Load-balancing configuration
- Maintaining separate HTTP and HTTPS requests to origin servers
- Making query strings agnostic
- Request collapsing
- Routing assets to different origins
- Serving stale content
- Tracking your origin's name, IP, and port
- Understanding cache HIT and MISS headers with shielded services
- Understanding the X-Timer header
- Using edge side includes (ESI)
These articles describe how to restrict access to resources by whitelisting or blacklisting IP addresses with Access Control Lists (ACLs).
- About ACLs
- About Edge ACLs
- Creating and manipulating Edge ACL entries
- Creating and using Edge ACLs
- Manually creating access control lists
These articles provide information about monitoring and testing the security of your services behind Fastly.
These articles describe how to order a TLS certificate through Fastly and then set it up.
- Accessing Fastly's IP ranges
- Allowing only TLS connections to your site
- Connecting to origins over TLS
- Domain validation for TLS certificates
- Enabling HSTS through Fastly
- Ordering a paid TLS option
- Setting up free TLS
- Support for App Transport Security
- TLS termination
Migrations and integrations
These articles describe migrations between Fastly services and non-Fastly services.
- IP geolocation variables: Migrating to the new dataset
- WordPress plugins: Migrating to Purgely from Fastly's original plugin
These articles describe how non-Fastly services interoperate with Fastly.
These articles provide basic instructions for setting up and beginning to use the Fastly Image Optimizer.
These articles provide examples of the Fastly Image Optimizer API in use.
- Automating optimization
- Controlling image quality
- Cropping images
- Reorienting images
- Resizing images
- Trimming images
Online video streaming
These articles describe setup and configuration guidelines for live stream delivery.
These articles describe how to deliver packaged, adaptive bitrate video on-demand from a single source format.
Compliance and law
This FAQ answers questions we often get about our Terms of Service, our privacy statements, our documentation, our Acceptable Use Policy, and how they all work together. It does not replace any of those, nor is it legally binding on its own.
These articles provide information about the processes and safeguards we follow to protect your data.
These articles provide information about the administrative, physical, and technical safeguards that protect the Fastly CDN service.
These articles provide information about third-party technology and services incorporated into the Fastly CDN service.
These articles provide information about Fastly products that may use third-party infrastructure to process or store content.
Fastly offers service level agreements to customers based on the nature of their agreement with Fastly and the Fastly products they have purchased. These articles provide information about these service level agreements.
Our statement regarding the service guide translations we provide:
Consistent with our commitment to transparency, these articles provide links to the historical versions of our documentation, terms, and policies.
Products and services
These articles provide detailed, plain English descriptions of Fastly's products.
- About Fastly's Application Programming Interface (API)
- About Fastly's Cloud Accelerator
- About Fastly's Customer Support
- About Fastly's Full-site Delivery features
- About Fastly's On-the-Fly Packaging service
- About Fastly's Real-Time Log Streaming features
- About Fastly's Video Caching service
- Assurance Services
- DDoS Protection and Mitigation Service and SLA
- HIPAA and caching PHI
- Legacy Premium Support and SLA
- PCI-compliant caching
- Professional Services
- Service availability SLA
- Support description and SLA
Fastly releases or retires its products and features as detailed below.
- Historical stats
- Real-time analytics
- Remote logging
- Image optimization
- Dynamic Servers