Changing connection timeouts to your origin
Last updated April 30, 2019
Connection timeouts to your origin server control how long Fastly will wait for a response from your origin server before exiting with an error. Changing the connection timeout is a good way to start troubleshooting 503 backend read errors. Follow the steps below to change the connection timeouts to your origin server:
- Log in to the Fastly web interface and click the Configure link.
- From the service menu, select the appropriate service.
- Click the Edit configuration button and then select Clone active. The Domains page appears.
- Click the Origins link. The Origins page appears.
- Click the link of the host that you want to edit. The Edit this host page appears.
Click the Advanced options link.
Type the new timeout in the appropriate field of the Timeouts section.
NOTE: Fastly enforces a 60 second timeout between nodes unless you're passing requests in
- Click the Update button.
TIP: Additional techniques that help you gain insights into your service configurations can be found in our debugging guides.