About the Alerts page
Last updated 2023-01-18
Located under the Observability tab in the web interface, the Alerts page gives you access to the Alerts feature, which notifies you when an observed metric either goes above or remains below a threshold. From the Alerts page, you can create and manage alert definitions and view triggered and resolved alert instances.
The Alerts feature is disabled by default and can be purchased by contacting email@example.com. Once enabled, any user with the appropriate roles and permissions will be able to manage alerts for Fastly services and historic stats metrics.
Be sure you know how to access the web interface controls before learning about the information you'll encounter here.
From the Alerts page, you can:
- view alerts that are firing by clicking the Alerts bell.
- access the Alerts tab, Alert definitions tab, and the Alert integrations tab.
The Alerts tab contains a historical feed of alerts that are firing and that have been resolved. From this tab, you can:
- filter the alert instances by service, alert definition name, and the time range when the alert was triggered or resolved.
- monitor alerts that are firing. An alert is firing when the condition set is no longer met during an evaluation period. Read about how alerts are triggered and resolved.
- view alerts with a Resolved status. An alert that was firing is considered resolved when the defined threshold is no longer being exceeded.
- click on a firing or resolved alert instance to access the details page for the alert. The alert details page displays a graph of the observed metric. On the graph, a horizontal black line marks the threshold, vertical red bars indicate when the metric went above or below the threshold, and vertical black lines indicate when a new service version was activated. The page also lists all firing and resolved instances of the alert. From the details page, you can edit the alert definition.
The Alert definitions tab lists your alert definitions. From this tab, you can:
- view a list of your alert definitions. You can use the Service menu to filter the list.
- create alert definitions.
- edit and delete existing alert definitions.
The Alert integrations tab lists your alert integrations. From this tab, you can:
- filter the alert integrations by type (e.g., Slack).
- create alert integrations.
- delete alert integrations.