Log streaming: Heroku's Logplex
Last updated November 06, 2019
As part of our Real-Time Log Streaming feature, if you use our Heroku add-on, you can send log files directly to Heroku's Logplex system. Logplex is Heroku's distributed syslog router that collates and distributes log entries from a variety of sources into a single channel.
NOTE: Fastly does not provide direct support for third-party services. See Fastly's Terms of Service for more information.
Before continuing, you will need the token from your Heroku Logplex account. If you don't have a Heroku Logplex account, now is the time to set one up by signing up for Heroku.
Once enabled, your Fastly logs will be available in exactly the same way as your regular app and hosted service logs. You can view them using the Heroku command line log viewer or send them to a logging add-on.
Adding Heroku Logplex as a logging endpoint
Follow these instructions to add Heroku Logplex as a logging endpoint for Fastly services:
- Review the information in our Setting Up Remote Log Streaming guide.
Click the Heroku Logplex Create endpoint button. The Create a Heroku Logplex endpoint page appears.
- Fill out the Create a Heroku Logplex endpoint fields as follows:
- In the Name field, enter a human-readable name for the endpoint.
- In the Log format field, optionally enter an Apache-style string or VCL variables to use for log formatting. The Apache Common Log format string appears in this field by default. Our discussion of format strings provides more information.
- In the Token field, type your Heroku Logplex token.
- In the URL field, type
https://1.us.logplex.io/logsunless otherwise instructed by our support staff.
Click the Advanced options link of the Create a Heroku Logplex endpoint page. The Advanced options appear.
- In the Placement area, select where the logging call should be placed in the generated VCL. Valid values are Format Version Default, None, and waf_debug (waf_debug_log). Selecting None creates a logging object that can only be used in custom VCL. See our guide on WAF logging for more information about
- Click the Create button to create the new logging endpoint.
- Click the Activate button to deploy your configuration changes.