Log streaming: Sumo Logic
Last updated May 31, 2019
NOTE: Fastly does not provide direct support for third-party services. See Fastly's Terms of Service for more information.
Setting up Sumo Logic
To use Sumo Logic as a logging endpoint, you'll need to create a Sumo Logic account, add a new source, and save the HTTP Source URL. Follow these instructions to add a new source in the Sumo Logic website:
The process starts with the Sumo Logic Setup Wizard, which appears immediately after you create your Sumo Logic account. If you already have an account, you can access the wizard by selecting Setup Wizard from the Manage menu at the top of the Sumo Logic application.
Click Set Up Streaming Data. The Select Data Type window appears.
Click All Other Sources. The Set Up Collection window appears.
Click HTTP Source. The Configure Source: HTTP Source window appears.
- In the Source Category field, type a human-readable name for the category (e.g.,
fastly_cdn) and select a time zone for your log file.
Click Continue. The HTTP Source URL appears.
- Copy the HTTP Source URL. You will enter this value in the Fastly web interface.
- Click Continue. Sumo Logic will add the new source.
Adding Sumo Logic as a logging endpoint
After you've created a Sumo Logic account and obtained the HTTP Source URL, follow these instructions to add Sumo Logic as a logging endpoint for Fastly services:
- Review the information in our Setting Up Remote Log Streaming guide.
Click the Sumo Logic Create endpoint button. The Create a Sumo Logic endpoint page appears.
- Fill out the Create a Sumo Logic endpoint fields as follows:
- In the Name field, type a human-readable name for the endpoint.
- In the Log format field, optionally type an Apache-style string or VCL variables to use for log formatting. The Apache Common Log format string appears in this field by default. Our discussion of format strings provides more information.
- In the Collector URL field, type the address of the HTTP Source URL you found in the Sumo Logic website.
Click the Advanced options link of the Create a Sumo Logic endpoint page and decide which of the optional fields to change, if any.
- Fill out the Advanced options of the Create a Sumo Logic endpoint page as follows:
- In the Select a log line format area, select the log line format for your log messages. Our guide on changing log line formats provides more information.
- In the Placement area, select where the logging call should be placed in the generated VCL. Valid values are Format Version Default, None, and waf_debug (waf_debug_log). Selecting None creates a logging object that can only be used in custom VCL. See our guide on WAF logging for more information about
- Click the Create button to create the new logging endpoint.
- Click the Activate button to deploy your configuration changes.
The Sumo Logic logging endpoint is designed for services with sustained levels of traffic. If you aren't seeing any logs in Sumo Logic, try waiting a bit.Back to Top