Log streaming: Logentries
Last updated February 15, 2017
- Register for a Logentries account.
- Create a new log in the Logentries application by following the instructions on the Logentries website
- During new log creation, select Manual Configuration and Token TCP.
- Make a note of the token provided in the Logentries configuration panel. We recommend you use this token when you create the Logentries logging endpoint for Fastly services.
Adding Logentries as a logging endpoint
After you've created a new log in Logentries and found the token, follow these instructions to add Logentries as a logging endpoint for Fastly services:
- Review the information in our Setting Up Remote Log Streaming guide.
Click the Logentries logo. The Create a Logentries endpoint page appears.
- Fill out the Create a Logentries endpoint fields as follows:
- In the Name field, type a human-readable name for the endpoint.
- In the Log format field, optionally type an Apache-style string or VCL variables to use for log formatting. The Apache Common Log format string appears in this field by default. Our discussion of format strings also provides more information.
- In the Token field, type the token provided in the Logentries configuration panel. Though you can use the provided secret port number, there are additional options to consider when deciding on token settings.
Click the Advanced options link.
- Fill out the Advanced options as follows:
- In the Port field, type
20000. Though we recommend this specific setting when adding your endpoint, there are additional options to consider when deciding on the port and TLS settings.
- From the TLS menu, optionally select Yes.
- In the Port field, type
- Click the Create button to create the new logging endpoint.
- Click the Activate button to deploy your configuration changes.
Additional selections for tokens, ports, and TLS
Using your token. You can add a Logentries endpoint by using your secret account token. To use your token, set your port to
10000. However, we strongly recommend sending your logs via TLS. To do this, set TLS to
Yes and the port number to
20000. See the Logentries guide Token TCP for more information.
Using your port number. You can add a Logentries endpoint by using your secret Logentries port number (e.g.,
56789). However, we strongly recommend sending your logs via TLS. To do this, set TLS to
Yes and add
10000 to your secret port number (e.g.,
66789). See the Logentries guide Plain TCP/UDP for more information.
Logentries maintains the Fastly Community Pack that leverages custom VCL to provide advanced User-Agent statistics, regional statistics, error tracking, and more.
- How to use Fastly + Logentries for immediate insight into log data
- Logentries documentation for Fastly
- API documentation for Logentries log streaming